STATES’ 4-H INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM DETAILS:
Dates: June 24 — July 24, 2020
Capacity: 20 delegates maximum, 5 delegates minimum
Cost: $2,200 + airfare estimate ($1,300 - $2,000) + $50 travel agent fee. (Airfare varies based on applicant’s location)
Delegates arrive in Oslo for a two-night arrival orientation, which includes an introduction to Norwegian culture and basic language phrases. Afterwards, delegates meet their Norwegian 4-H host family and begin their 4-week homestay. A host sibling of similar age is not guaranteed, and delegates may have more than one host family during their stay. The program concludes with a departure debriefing in Oslo.
Program Fees Include:
- Overnight National Departure Orientation in a U.S. gateway city the day before the international flight
- Two-night arrival orientation in Oslo
- Sightseeing and cultural excursions in Oslo
- In-Norway expenses: lodging, meals, transportation
- Orientation materials and States’ 4-H t-shirts
- Accident & Sickness Insurance
- A portion of adult chaperone expenses
November 15: Application & $1,500 first deposit due to Montana 4-H
January: States’ 4-H notifies applicant of acceptance January 15: $1,500 second deposit due to Montana 4-H
Late-February: States’ 4‐H issues air tickets
February 15: Medical form & passport copy due to Montana 4-H Spring: State orientations
April 1: T hird & final payment due to Montana 4-H
Late Spring: States’ 4-H Group Conference Call
June 24: Students fly to a U.S. gateway city for National Departure Orientation the day before the international flight.
**First payment check will not be deposited until applicant is accepted in January.
Who can apply:
4-H youth who want to learn first-hand about another culture and gain a global perspective. Must be between ages 15-18 from the first day to the last day of the exchange (you must not be in college). 4-H enrollment guidelines and ages vary by state. How to apply: Contact your local 4-H coordinator to learn about your local deadlines and to apply.
States’ 4-H Program Policies:
- Program Cancellations:
- Before January 31, 2020: $300 cancellation fee. The remaining amount of first program deposit will be refunded
- January 31 - February 15, 2020: Cancellation will equal 100% of first program deposit
- After February 15, 2020: No refund of paid deposits
- Airfare is non-refundable once issued
- In-State Fees may apply
- Unaccompanied Minor fees may apply (up to $150 each way)
- No donor checks are accepted by the States’ 4-H Office, donors must send checks directly to the delegate
- Program details subject to change
Q: Will a chaperone accompany the group?
A: Yes! Adult chaperones accompany the group during international travel and remain in-country to provide support during the exchange.
Q: Do I need to speak Norwegian?
A: No prior language study is required, but it is certainly helpful! Our international partners have English-speaking staff on hand to assist you in communication.
Q: How will States’ 4-H prepare me for my homestay?
A: States’ 4-H provides travel handbooks that cover everything from packing lists to financial matters to cultural information. In addition, each state conducts an spring orientation covering these topics. Delegates also receive details during the States’ 4-H group conference call in late spring and a National