STATES’ 4-H INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM DETAILS:
Dates: June 28 — July 28, 2020
Capacity: 10 delegates maximum, 5 delegates minimum
Cost: $2,200 + airfare estimate ($1,300 - $2,300) + $50 travel agent fee (Airfare varies based upon applicant’s location)
Delegates arrive in Taipei for a two-night arrival orientation led by Taiwan 4-H, which includes an introduction to Taiwanese culture and basic language phrases. Afterwards, delegates meet their host family and begin their homestay. Delegates may have 2 different host families during the program. The program concludes with sightseeing and cultural excursions in Taipei along with a departure debriefing.
Program Fees Include:
- Overnight National Departure Orientation in U.S. gateway city
- Two-night arrival orientation in Taipei
- Sightseeing and cultural excursions in Taipei
- In– Taiwan expenses: lodging, meals, transportation
- 4-H International Exchange Camp
- Orientation materials and States’ 4-H t-shirts
- Accident & Sickness Insurance
- A portion of adult chaperone expenses
November 15: Application & $1500 first deposit due to Montana 4-H
January: States’ 4-H notifies applicant of acceptance
January 15: $1,500 second deposit due to Montana 4-H
Late-February: States’ 4‐H issues air tickets
February 15: Medical form & passport copy due to Montana 4-H
Spring: State orientations
April 1: Third & final payment due to Montana 4-H
Late Spring: States’ 4-H Group Conference Call for Taiwan delegates June 28: Students fly to a U.S. gateway city for National Departure Orientation the day before the international flight.
**First payment will not be deposited until applicant is accepted in January
Who can apply:
4-H youth who want to learn first-hand about another culture and gain a global perspective. Must be between ages 12-18 from the first day to the last day of the exchange (you must not be in college). 4-H enrollment guidelines and ages vary by state.
How to apply:
Contact your local 4-H coordinator to apply and learn about your local deadlines and to access the application.
- Program Cancellations:
- Before January 31, 2020: $300 cancellation fee. The remaining amount of first program deposit will be refunded
- January 31 - February 15, 2020: Cancellation will equal 100% of first program deposit
- After February 15, 2020: No refund of paid deposits
- Airfare is non-refundable once issued
- In-State Fees may apply
- Unaccompanied Minor fees may apply (up to $150 each way)
- No donor checks are accepted by the States’ 4-H Office, donors must send checks directly to the delegate
- Program details subject to change
Q: Will a chaperone accompany the group?
A: Yes! Adult chaperones accompany the group during international travel and remain in-country to provide support during the exchange.
Q: Do I need to speak Taiwanese?
A: No prior language study is required, but it is certainly helpful! Our international partners have English-speaking staff on hand to assist you in communication.
Q: How will States’ 4-H prepare me for my homestay?
A: States’ 4-H provides travel handbooks that cover everything from packing lists to financial matters to cultural information. In addition, each state may conduct a spring orientation covering these topics. Delegates also receive details during the States’ 4-H group conference call in late spring and a National Departure Orientation the day before the international flight.
For more information:
Facebook Page www.facebook.com/states4hexchange